Girl's Weekend

Holly and I in Chicago last October

When I was in graduate school in Maryland I had some of the toughest and most growth-promoting years of my life. I'm not sure I would have come out of it the way I did had it not been for my best friend Holly. One thing we love to reminisce about is that just a month or so into the program two of the men we were good friends with in our year in the program already had found girlfriends after such a short time in Maryland and we had yet to go on a date. We had pathetic conversations about how we worried we would always be single, were too something to be in a happy relationship, and basically just felt sorry for ourselves for being the only two 22 year olds not in relationships (okay, we were a little dramatic). Now, 8 or so years later, we are the ones in happy marriages, building our families, and loving life.

This weekend Holly came out to Utah to visit and we had a fun time being tourists in Salt Lake. On Friday we toured BYU and I introduced her to some of my colleagues at the counseling center (Holly works at the University of Maine Counseling Center). Saturday we drove through the canyon, rode the chair lift at Sundance, and had an excellent lunch at Sundance. We then continued through the Canyon to Salt Lake and went to This is The Place State Park in Salt Lake where Holly got her fill of Western living history (she used to play a pilgram at the Plymoth plantation). Sunday we went to Temple Square for the broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word and then toured temple square and the conference center before heading to Gateway Mall for lunch and some shopping. Even though Holly and I hadn't seen each other for a year and don't talk nearly as much as we would like to, it was like we'd never been apart.

Marshall was an angel this weekend and took care of the boys 24/7 so that I could focus on our girl's weekend. The boys enjoyed the company and Mason told Holly she was his "best friend in the whole world".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We're Coming Home!!!

Quick Update

Need Advice & Suggestions