Finding a Dragon



For the last 6 months or so, Mason has loved the movie Pete's Dragon. A few weeks ago he started telling us that for his birthday (in about a month) he wants a Elliott (the dragon). We've tried talking him into maybe a stuffed dragon or a pretend dragon, but he is really convinced that he wants a real dragon and that he will live in our backyard inside the fence. Everyday he talks about how he wants a dragon for his birthday and it has to have wings, arms, a tale, and breath fire. I've even looked online and can't find any Elliott replicas or stuffed animals. So Marshall got the bright idea that we should go to a pet store and look at lizzards and tell him they are baby dragons, the idea being that Mason is afraid of every animal he has ever encountered and that certainly when he saw the lizzards he would change his mind about wanting a baby dragon. So. . .last night after dinner we went to Pet Smart and looked at Chinese Water Dragons. MASON LOVED THEM!! The kid is afraid of dogs, cats, snakes, birds, gophers, everything else but he wants a lizzard! The disgusting things have e-coli and are not good for kids, so in my mind we are absolutely not getting one. So our plan backfired. So if anyone else has any ideas for how to distract Mason from wanting a dragon, please comment!

Comments

Kendra said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendra said…
So, I wonder if you might be able to create some kind of "dragon tracks" outside and create the illusion that Pete's Dragon had been there, but couldn't stay. But still tell Mason that the dragon said his cousins (dinosaurs) weren't busy and could see him today. Is there a dinosaur park up there somewhere, or maybe even a dinosaur dig where you could dig for "fossils"?
How about a webkinz dragon? Look it up on Ebay. It's a stuffed animal that has an online code. My kids really like their webkinzs. They act like they're real. Then it could be real, it just lives in the computer.
Mrs.Goates said…
I say get the lizard! How fun, he's not scared of them - that has got to count for something :) Though I'll say I never want a lizard in my house! I've heard something like "Bearded Dragons" are the best for beginners (one of my friends had lizards growing up) - there are also some pretty cool fish that look dragon like...

Oh and the Webkinz is a great idea, my 4 year old neice and 5 year old nephew love them.
Christina said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said…
That was my favorite movie when I was a kid. This is when Micheal was around, and we lived in Texas. We got a new Golden retreiver puppy and Me and Michael were fighting over the names. Me being a HUGE Petes dragon fan wanted to name the dog Elliot. Where as he being a Huge star wars fan wanted to name the dog Falcon.. So the Name Elliot Falcon stuck. We ended up not bringing that dog to Idaho.. Just Chelsea

Bearded dragons are great pets. The things with lizards in freezing places like Utah is that you need a lot of equipment to keep them warm..Don't be worried about germs and animals. E-coli is EVERYWHERE. I probablly consume easily two to three cups of marley hair a week unknowingly and I have never been sick. I used to sit in my rabbits cage with it when i was little. My Doctor friends dog was putting its soggy tennis ball into thier baby's swing with it as soon as they brought him home. The doctor just laughed for the dog being so optimistic that the baby could throw it so soon. Kids are exposed to more germs in school than having a pet and the reward of having a child bond with an animal is far greater than the cleanliness of not having one. But that is my opinion,but you know I grew up with many many animals so I am a bit biased in this decision. I think every kid needs a pet. So yes.. get Mason a Lizard.. =c)

Popular posts from this blog

We're Coming Home!!!

Quick Update

Miraculous Update July 4th 6 AM