How Do You Do This?!

I have cousins that seem to move quite frequently. And it all just seems to happy smoothly. . .one day I hear they are moving, the next they are happily settled in their beautiful new perfectly decorated home. HOW THE HECK DO YOU DO THAT!? I really must be missing something here because Marshall and I are both stressed beyond belief. It has been one week since we sold our house, five days since we bought our new house, and about 2 weeks until moving day and both us us are not sleeping and are constantly having to remind each other to take deep breathes to avoid panic attacks. Today is the inspection and appraisal on our house and the inspection on the house we are buying. Last night we cleaned and packed and moved things for about 5 hours before collapsing from exhaustion, and then all night I kept waking up thinking things like "is the bathtub clean enough?" and "should I sweep the driveway". Marshall woke up before his alarm 6 AM to give the toilet another scrub after letting the bleach sit all night. Seriously, it is getting to us. I'm really hoping that after today when it seems more likely the sell of our house will go through (after the inspection) that we will start feeling better. Any advice?

Comments

Juliet said…
This sure makes me hope I don't move for a long long long time!

I did move a couple times while pregnant with Lincoln,so I've never moved with kids, and never moved out of a house with all its accompaning collected stuff. But I guess the advice if I was hypothetically doing this with kids and while expecting is..... as much as possible pack like things together organized so they don't get lost. Do cleaning painting and decorating as much as possible of the new home before you move the heavy furniture in. Accept lots of help from anyone offering and eat out a lot. Wendys is your friend. :)
And you are probably right, getting past the inspection might make things better.
Joy said…
my thoughts, because i'm guessing i am one of the afore mentioned cousins:

be nieve. don't let yourself know that it shouldn't be able to be done this quickly.

if it doesn't get done, so what. reading your blog i thought "hmm cleaning for the inspector, interesting thought..."

thirdly, in talking to mer she has said that with no kids you can move and have a house ready in a day. with one kid in a week. with two in a couple weeks to a month. this time with four she still isnt done.

don't expect too much- just let it happen. like anything else, it'll happen whether you stress or not.
merideth said…
maybe you hear just the goods of the story... but i am still moving in six months after move in day and yes it is stressful. plus it is hard to do when pregnant. i have done that many times.
hope everything goes smoothly. i am sure when we see you in april you will be exhausted!!
good luck.
Mrs.Goates said…
Hire a mover. They pack boxes, they move boxes - which leaves you with unpacking - which as Merideth says can be done at your leisure. Of course than you look at the price tag and as Scott says you have to look at your comparative advantage :)
Sarah said…
i am enjoying reading the advice - you're right, keep it coming! :) after reading your blog last night, i was fretting a little. my lists keep me in check and without them, i know i'd leave out something important.

it might be late for this advice since you've already sold, but taking the extra 20-30 minutes before bed each night tidying up has helped us out tremendously. it's great to wake up to a clean house and not have to worry about any of that to start your day or while you're at work!

your new home is absolutely beautiful! congratulations!
Christina said…
When I moved every six months I could fit most everything I owned into my Suburu and still have room for Marley and me to drive it. Then when I aquired more stuff (like furniture and a mattress I didn't have to blow up) I could fit it all in my subaru and then a friends truck. Thats one of the reasons I love my little house. I could still move out of here in my subaru, stacey's subaru and a truck. But I have only two living bodies to move (one of which only has a dog bed,a bag of dog food, a chuck it, and basket of tennis balls) That is my moving secret.. =c)

Popular posts from this blog

We're Coming Home!!!

Quick Update

Need Advice & Suggestions