We're Coming Home!!!


I'm not posting "before" pictures because they are a little too scary,
but this is a pretty good "after" picture if you ask me!

Mason had another amazing night. Yesterday he wouldn't stand on his own (we think because of all the bruising, pulled groin muscle, swollen foot) but he slept really well all night (and kept his oxygen levels up without help) and this morning he woke up with a lot more energy. He ate 3 little boxes of fruit loops, 2 containers of milk, and is working on a muffin now. He's gone potty by himself, and walked back and forth to the playroom down the hall two or three times. He seems completely back and in the playroom used potato heads to re-enact a scene from Toy Story 2. The pediatrician just came in and told us that he feels good about going home as long as we follow-up with our pediatrician by Wednesday morning at the latest to get the stitches out, re-write prescriptions (can't fill Canadian ones in US), and decide where to go from there (maybe repeat EEG, chest x-ray, blood gas, maybe nothing). So our plan is to wait for the brain injury team to come talk to us about a few things. They just took his last IV out which was pretty rough for him and he said he would miss his "tall skinny friend" (the IV pole). After we get out of here we will go to show him off to the ICU nurses and doctors who were wonderful but have never seen him without tubes, walking, or talking, and then to the Ronald McDonald house where Mason and Myles get to visit the "Magic Room". Then it is to Lethbridge for the night and leave for Utah in the morning. My parents were planning on coming with us but now that he is doing so well I'm not sure what the plan is. Our regular pediatrician is out of town for the week, but I'm really hoping we can see one of his partners who is in our ward instead first thing Wednesday morning. I'm trying to get Marshall to agree to see a doctor as well since his hip isn't healing like you would think if it was just bruising, and I need to see my OB so it will be a busy week but we are so happy to be going home.

We can't even begin to express thanks for all the prayers and thoughts we have received over the last week. I wish I could express my thanks to each of you in person but that would take years to do it justice! We are so grateful to have so many people that care for Mason and for our family. I know that there will be a lot of people anxious to see him and give him a hug and we can't wait. I also just want to let everyone know that the doctors have given us a lot of good instructions about how to handle the rest of his recovery emotionally and psychologically. We are not sure how much of the accident he remembers and when we ask he gets upset and says he doesn't want to talk about it. So we would really appreciate it if everyone tries really hard NOT to mention what happened (fell in the water, almost drowned, hit his head, etc). We will work through it with him and professionals when the time comes and he is ready. A simple hug and "we are glad you are feeling better" is probably the best thing that could happen. Marshall and I are happy to talk more about it and fill in details for people, but not in front of Mason. We also need to be mindful that Myles saw the whole thing from Mason falling in, to Marshall jumping in, the CPR, hospital ride, ICU, mommy hysterical, everyone crying constantly, etc. When he came to me off the boat he was scared and said "Mason fell in the water." We also need to try to get our routine back to normal as soon as possible which may be difficault but we will work at it. So we are excited to be getting out of here. Someday I'll post more about the amazing treatment at the Alberta Children's Hospital, the Ronald McDonald house, and all the things that happen here. This is truly a place of miracles.

Comments

Jodie said…
YaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That is wonderful news.

We love you....
Nancy B. said…
LOVE THAT PICTURE! This is truly a GREAT NEWS MINUTE! See you when you get home.
Sarah said…
What a wonderful & cheerful photo! So glad to hear that he is recovering so fast and you'll be able to return to the comforts of your own home sooner than expected!
Christina said…
hooray. Love the picture. It's great to see a good current picture of him.. smile and all. Thanks
edwardsfamily said…
We couldn't be happier!! Woohoo!!
Amy Chandler said…
Prayers are answered!! Please let us know if we can help at all when you get back here!! We'll come visit when you have time to settle in.
Oh we are SOOO happy for you guys-what a great kid with a great smile!
Let us know if you guys need anything-I've gotten great with the crockpot-so even after everyone else brings meals, I'd be glad to still help! :0)
You and Marshall take care of yourselves too. Tell him to get to the doc so that his hip can be taken care of.
Miracles still happen today!! The Lord truly loves the Jones family and what a wonderful example of a celestial family you are to the rest of us.
Thank You!
The Goates Herd said…
Three cheers for MASON!!! So happy!!!
allison said…
Wow! This has been an amazing journey to watch unfold. We are so happy for you guys, and your special little boy! What a miracle!
Afton or Brooke said…
We are overjoyed that Mason is doing well enough to come home and even attempt a normal routine. I love that picture you posted.

Melissa, thank you so much for keeping us posted all week on Mason's condition. I am so thankful that he pulled through and that your family has been so blessed. But I am also thankful that we were all able to witness such a modern day miracle. It reminds us that heaven is not so far away and Heavenly Father's hand is right here in our lives. If that doesn't strengthen your faith, I don't know what will. :)
Anonymous said…
Wow......... Jim MacArthur and family
Amy said…
so excited that you get to come home! that's a great picture of Mason :) we will be on call for WHATEVER you need when you return.
Knudsen Crew said…
Wow! Prayers are answered! That is awesome news!
Juliet said…
Wow! You are coming home already? And not just "home to the Goates home" but home home?!?!? Awesome!

The list of upcoming appointments sounds daunting and may grow in number, but you'll be ok. Take help whenever you can get it and don't sign on for anything extra or unnecessary for.... I don't know, a while. Until things seem to slow down.

This is different circumstances but a little similar to Febuary when I returned to UT after being away dealing with a child's medical issue. Believe me when I say its hectic for a while but follow up care dwindles down as time passes and life will go back to a different kind of normal. Your family will be just fine, and add us to the 'on call' list of people to call when ya need anything.
Anonymous said…
What great news! Good luck with your trip home and all the upcoming appointments.
You will remain in our prayers.
Megan
merideth said…
yay... so great. home will be so nice. love the pic.
Amber said…
Melissa, I am so glad that things have taken such a good turn. It was really scary for awhile. I just saw your blog a couple of days ago and I was actually in Great Falls at a friend's house for the 4th of July. But anyway, I'm so happy that you get to go home. Mason is such an incredible little boy!
Norm Jones said…
Man, I love a happy ending.

Mason is the talk of the town. Have a safe trip.

Norm
Jennifer Hale said…
Jones Family,

I just received the news from my mom -- we're relatives (and former neighbors) of the Jones family.

My heart skipped a beat when I read about Mason. I am happy to read the news is now good. You have a sweet little boy there. :)

Lots of love,

Jennifer Shelley Hale & family
jaredean said…
We are so thankful you guys are heading home...what an amazing miricle that took place and unbelievable that in less than a week after almost losing your son (and possibly husband) you are on your way home with both very much alive and on the way to recovery...you guys have all been in our prayers and will continue to be...i've been reading your blog every day to see how it is going...i'm sure everyone feels the same as us - ANYTHING you need, we will help you...don't hesistate...

love,
the blanchard's
Romeril Family said…
I am so so happy for you! I hope he continues to thrive, I am sure he will!
Jenn Butcher said…
It sounds like he has made a miraculous recovery. How scary for your family. I also hope that Marshall and your father are doing well also. Things can happen so quickly. I am so glad Mason is doing well! I have enjoyed reading your blog and the updates and am so glad that everything is turning out well. Being an ICU nurse, it sounds like from the things you have described that he will be just fine!!
Lindi said…
WOW! THank you for allowing us to feel some of your experience through what you wrote. Losing a child is horrible and I pray people don't have to experience it. I am so grateful he is ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindi Shumaker
Jim MacArthur's daughter
Anonymous said…
Yeah!! We are so happy for you. I told Bryant the good news and he was sooo excited - considering he has been praying and he can now see an answer to his prayers. We hope everything goes well for you on your trip home and your doctor appointments.

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Update

Need Advice & Suggestions