Longest Morning Ever
This morning at 3:30 I woke up to Marshall asking if we had any medicine because he had a bad ear infection. After I got him all drugged up Myles was awake and decided he wanted breakfast and to watch Mickey Mouse. After a few unsuccessful attempts at getting him back to sleep I gave in. At 5:30 Mason woke up with an ear infection (yes, it has only been 2 weeks since his last one). Since I already had Max's 4-month appointment this morning I added Mason to the appointment. While we were waiting for the doctor Myles started complaining that his ear hurt too (he has only been off antibiotics for 2 weeks as well). So after over an hour with the doctor, here is the run-down:
Max--12 lbs 11 oz, healthy other than some moderate congestion for which the doctor prescribed a few medications.
Mason--ear infection and bulging ear drum. The doctor was also quite concerned that he has lost a few pounds and that he has been complaining of heartburn (we think) when he eats. He said that his guess would be that when they quickly intubated him last summer they may have scratched his esophagus. They prescribed an antibiotic and acid reflux medicine to see if that will do the trick but if not he will need a scope in a few months.
Myles--this was the big surprise. I knew he had a cough at night and a runny nose for a while, but it turns out his lungs were pretty bad and he has some pneumonia in addition to his ear infection. So in addition to the antibiotic, we left with a handful of prescriptions and a nebulizer to be delivered this afternoon. They also did a nebulizer treatment in the office to get him through the morning.
So after an hour and a half at the doctor's office we headed to the pharmacy where they told us it would be 30 minutes to fill our TEN prescriptions (thank goodness for insurance--we paid $100 instead of about $800). Well, I can entertain three kids in a small store for 30 minutes--but not for an hour and a half which is what it actually took! It was pretty rough and by the time we left both kids were crying because their ears hurt so much. I was looking forward to getting home and getting the kids to bed, but they fell asleep in the car and then woke up when I tried carrying them in and now won't sleep and are watching Shrek.
What a morning. Is this normal? To have all three kids sick and on this many medications? Am I doing something wrong?
Max--12 lbs 11 oz, healthy other than some moderate congestion for which the doctor prescribed a few medications.
Mason--ear infection and bulging ear drum. The doctor was also quite concerned that he has lost a few pounds and that he has been complaining of heartburn (we think) when he eats. He said that his guess would be that when they quickly intubated him last summer they may have scratched his esophagus. They prescribed an antibiotic and acid reflux medicine to see if that will do the trick but if not he will need a scope in a few months.
Myles--this was the big surprise. I knew he had a cough at night and a runny nose for a while, but it turns out his lungs were pretty bad and he has some pneumonia in addition to his ear infection. So in addition to the antibiotic, we left with a handful of prescriptions and a nebulizer to be delivered this afternoon. They also did a nebulizer treatment in the office to get him through the morning.
So after an hour and a half at the doctor's office we headed to the pharmacy where they told us it would be 30 minutes to fill our TEN prescriptions (thank goodness for insurance--we paid $100 instead of about $800). Well, I can entertain three kids in a small store for 30 minutes--but not for an hour and a half which is what it actually took! It was pretty rough and by the time we left both kids were crying because their ears hurt so much. I was looking forward to getting home and getting the kids to bed, but they fell asleep in the car and then woke up when I tried carrying them in and now won't sleep and are watching Shrek.
What a morning. Is this normal? To have all three kids sick and on this many medications? Am I doing something wrong?
Comments