Need Advice & Suggestions

Okay, I know I have so many friends and family members who are incredibly great decorators and have a much better eye for this stuff than me, so I am calling on you to help me. When we moved into our house over a year ago, I knew the main floor needed painting. I even got quotes from painters. But when it came down to it I didn't trust myself enough to pick paint colors and spent the money on furniture instead. Well, now I'm ready to paint again and have some colors in mind but really want opinions and/or suggestions.

Basically the main floor is about 1800 square feet. There is an entrance which crazy high ceilings, then off of that a living room on one side and a dining room on the other. Ahead to the right there is a bathroom and my office, and to the left a hallway and then the kitchen/family room.

They are all Restoration Hardware colors that I will have matched with Benjamin Moore paint. These swatches probably aren't all that accurate, but some of you might be familiar with the colors.


I'm thinking of painting the entrance, hallway, and bathroom this color (latte)

Living room and dining room this color (cappuccino)
My office this color (sycamore)

Kitchen/family room this color (silver sage)--more of a blue/gray.

On the ceilings, doors, and moldings I can't decide between right white (1st) or Mediterranean white (2nd).


There is also this color that is in the same family that I've thought about doing for the dining room but I'm worried it is too dark (flax).

So my questions are--too many colors? Too dull? Will they transition okay? Other suggestions?

Comments

Sarah said…
we actually had a mix silver sage and cappucino on the main floor of our last home in AZ... and latte in the basement. i preferred the latte - it was a little lighter and more creamy... but i'm a fan of super light and airy. they all complimented each other nicely... and looked great with our white trim, crown molding...etc.
What about barely beige or stonehouse? Those might look better and lighter than the cappucino or latte. It's hard to tell without looking at the light in the room. You should trust yourself. Good choices!
Alice said…
Those all look like really pretty colors Melissa. I personally wouldn't do too many different colors--especially on the same floor of your house. I would stick with the same color for all the main areas and then maybe another color(s) for your office and dining room. When we built our house, we ended up doing it all the same color (initially because it was so much cheaper than having them change out colors). But, I'm actually glad we did it that way. Also, just another thing when we were picking out our paint colors the interior designer suggested we go with an off white or cream trim rather than a bright white. According to her bright white is not as popular now. I think it's really more of a personal preference thing though. Good luck! That sounds fun and overwhelming at the same time.
Holly said…
Just a couple of thoughts- it seems like a lot of colors. If that's what you want, then go for it, but you don't necessarily have to make each room unique-in our basement, I find it soothing that all of the main area is the same color...but that's just me. Another thing to remember is that painters charge a fee for each color change. We did a creamy trim in our house, and I love it. It bugs my mom, though, who likes bright white, so go with your own taste on that. I would say that the creamy white shows dirt less, if that matters. I always thought I would love picking out paint colors and decorating my own house, but it's really turned out to be almost painful. Too many options, too many decisions. Good luck!
Holly said…
Oh yeah, and I forgot another thing I heard on a design show I watch (Colorsplash). He said that if you're nervous about doing a really deep or rich color, the dining room is an excellent place to give it a try. For some reason it just works in that room.
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Seriously, I can't believe how stressful this is. I took the plunge and actually tried out colors on the walls today, so now I'm committed. Keep the suggestions coming!
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Seriously, I can't believe how stressful this is. I took the plunge and actually tried out colors on the walls today, so now I'm committed. Keep the suggestions coming!
Christina said…
I think they are good as a good neutral base. However, I am a fan of color, and maybe would suggest a fun colorful accent wall in the living room area by the kitchen. It can be neutralish, like a sage green or something. But that is me. I like different rooms being different colors like you have too. Gives each one its own personality.

Popular posts from this blog

We're Coming Home!!!

Quick Update