Waterton 2011 Trip One or Longest Post Ever

The kids and I left on July 14 for 10 days in Waterton. Prepare yourself for endless mediocre photos (Marshall wouldn't let me take his precious camera so they are iphone pics) in a random order with random descriptions.

We left at 5:30 in the morning and made good time to Canada in only about 13 hours with minimal stopping. The kids were perfect little travelers both ways. We had one car sickness episode with Max but fortunately it was towards the end of the trip. I've decided minivans with DVD players and Nintendo DS are the most wonderful thing ever invented for long road trips with kids. I just got their stuff going then plugged in my headphones and listened to podcasts the whole way.


Red Rock Canyon. This was Mason's favorite place this year. It was a hot day and so we headed up to the natural waterslides. Grandpa taught them how to slide down. Later we saw a picture of Red Rock Canyon in a gift shop and Mason said "can I buy that for my room? I love that place!"
















We took another trip to Red Rock (about 20 mins from the cabin) when it was a little cooler to hike and I decided to save $180 on a picture for Mason's room and take one myself :)





Poutine. Perhaps Canada's most fattening and delicious food. It is just what it looks like. French fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Yummmm. Once in 10 years won't kill me, right?







One day we drove over Logan's Pass. At the top it was a blizzard! In July! It was the first week they had the road plowed too. But it was beautiful on the other (American) side.








Another day we were out playing, flying kites, etc. and all of a sudden had to run back to the cabin to get out of this crazy freak hail storm! Oh, July in Canada.




Top of Logan's Pass.







But we did have wonderful warm weather most days which meant lots of boat rides. Here is Max driving the boat with grandma. Our friends Glenda and Gail visited too and Max loved sitting on their laps in the boat.





The boys enjoying a traditional visit to the ice cream store in town.










Relaxing on the Hammock.








We didn't see any bears for the first week which was really surprising. Then Thursday night we went looking and found this beautiful 3 year old grizzly. Then the next day we had 6 more black bear sightings all in one day.










One day we went into Cardston to visit my grandma. She made delicious and beautiful cupcakes for the kids and the kids loved all the old toys in the playroom.




Mason enjoyed trapping the gophers that dig up grandpa's lawn. Since it is a national park you can't kill them so they would trap them and take them across the river to let them go. I, however, would love to see the nasty things die. I spent the whole time yelling at the kids to shut the cabin door because when they left it open once I saw a gopher run into the cabin and I made my dad chase it out. After that every night I swear I could feel gophers running around my bed. Yes, I'm a bit paranoid.




Cameron Falls with my goofball boys.







We went to the Farmer's Market in Cardston and Mason was in paradise buying fresh veggies. He and grandma cut them up and together made a delicious dinner.




Grandpa heading to the ice cream store with his little buddies.




Myles actually fell asleep on a boat ride! The kid can sleep anywhere except his own bed at night!










One morning my dad and I hiked to the top of Bear's Hump for the great view.








We did it! First time for me to the top since I climbed it with Marshall when we were engaged 8 years ago.



Another morning we biked into Wall Lake. It was a beautiful ride and an even more beautiful destination. We could even see mountain goats on the ridge.












Last year the park (at my dad's suggestion) built a path from the town to the park gate (18 km round trip) and my dad and I biked it. Most beautiful scenery around, but all the bears on the side of the trail scared me to death! I was especially freaked out when my dad made me stop to take this picture right where we had seen a bear about 20 minutes earlier.









My dad got this bike thing for Mason that attaches to his bike. Mason loved it!




Max and Myles loved bike rides in the stroller.




The kids loved throwing rocks in the lake right by the cabin. Everytime Max threw a rock we would all have to clap for him.




My dad, the kids, and I went on a little hike to Blackiston Falls the last day. I love my good little hikers.







Hiking around Linet Lake. Max wouldn't take a step on his own so I ended up carrying him on my shoulders.



Yet another hike. Yes, we kept the kids busy. Our hiking rule for Waterton is that there has to be an adult in front of and behind the kids at all times. Makes me feel a lot safer.







Throwing rocks in Crandell Lake with Uncle Daniel.




The whole hiking crew (plus Jessica behind the camera).




Mason thinks he is a hard core hiker. If he didn't pick up every rock and stick along the way we would be twice as fast!
My parents were troopers the whole trip. It is not easy entertaining and feeding 3 little boys in a little cabin for 10 days. But the boys just loved spending time with grandma and "gramps".
Me and Myles found some bear grass.
Such a sweet boy.

Probably Myles' favorite part of the trip. Finally he could pee outside without getting yelled at.


We got a surprise visit from my "Aunt Karen" and all of her family because one of her sons saw on facebook that I was in Canada! When I was growing up she babysat me everyday and is like a second mother to me. It was so great to see her and her kids that I grew up with.


Phew, you made it to the end. The next two weeks the kids will be in Delta for swimming lessons and next week Marshall is working in Denver and I am going to New York and DC. When we get back we are all heading up to Waterton for another 10 days of adventure.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

We're Coming Home!!!

Quick Update

Miraculous Update July 4th 6 AM