DC Part A
While I spent most of my days at the conference, I utilized every square moment to visit my favorite things in DC. I didn't quite make it to Silver Spring or my old apartment, but I did visit a few of my favorite neighborhoods that I frequents a lot for parties, dates, dinners with friends, bookstores, etc.
One of my favorite DC neighborhoods was Georgetown and I really think that if I lived anywhere in DC again I would want to live here (so I'd have to be rich of course). And since I moved 6 years ago the cupcake crazy hit DC and they opened Georgetown Cupcakes which is the subject of one of my favorite TLC shows DC Cupcakes. I started to stand in line but then realized I would be waiting for an hour in the rain for a cupcake. Then I found out that you couldn't just buy a single cupcake and decided it was even more ridiculous to stand in line to buy 6 cupcakes for just me so I just took pictures and left to wander Georgetown.
The Workshop
I also went to Dupont which was another one of my favorite neighborhoods with bookstores and coffee shops I loved to go to on weekends to hang out and study in. The escalator from the Metro to street level is one of the longest in the world and is quite a dizzy-ing experience. Especially coming down. Sunday the conference was over and my flight didn't leave until the evening and so I decided to visit the Newseum for the day since it was quite likely the only museum in DC I haven't been to (it opened after I moved). It was AMAZING! Definitely a place to visit.
View of Pennsylvania Avenue where various network news shows film.
To the left is the Canadian Embassy. When I lived in DC they would host cheese and wine tastings for Canadians living in DC.
After the Newseum I had a few hours to kill. Since teaching Women's Studies I realized I'm a little rusty on my knowledge of the women's suffragist movement in the United States, so I went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History to see what I could learn. When I asked at the visitor's desk if they had any exhibits on women getting the vote the old man looked confused and said "no, but we have some pretty dresses in the gallery to your left." Seriously! They didn't have an exhibit portraying half of the American population being granted a basic civil right in America. But they had a huge hall of the dresses worn by First Ladies at the Presidents' Inaugurations. Uh huh.
Oh, and I did find an exhibit on how women did laundry over time.
Comments