One of Mason's favorite rides in Disneyland was the Star Tours ride, which is based on the movie Star Wars. He has been asking to watch the movie for a while and I've thought he was too young. But after seeing how much he loved the ride, and after he told me that all his friends at school talk about Star Wars, I decided to let him watch it. So Sunday night he cuddled up with his dad and watched the entire 4th movie. He loved it. . .until bedtime. When I turned off his light Myles was already asleep and Mason immediately followed me into the hallway crying that he couldn't sleep because it sounded like Darth Vader was in the room. Turns out Myles breathing sounds an awful lot like Darth Vader to a 6 year old. Marshall thinks the only solution is to let him watch all the other movies to let him know what ultimately happens to Darth Vader. I'm worried more movies will only make him more scared. Thoughts? What is the an appropriate age for movies like this (and Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter)?

Comments

I am pretty conservative when it comes to movies. I just barely let Liz and Megan watch the first 3 Harry Potters. They can't watch or read the other ones for at least a couple years. Pirates of the Carribean I would probably wait a couple more years as well. Same with Star Wars. I would say 12 for my kids. Maybe older for Megan because she already has so many nightmares. I explain to them that the movies are a little scary and I think they should wait a couple years so they won't be so scared and they are fine with that. Megan watched The Sorcerers Apprentice with us a couple weeks ago and she was so tense and then couldn't sleep because she had nightmares from it (and it wasn't that scary! I thought it was perfectly fine for her to watch!)
Mrs.Goates said…
I don't think there is a right age - it's a maturity thing. Elaine and Joyce are both pretty weary kids, they get nervous with some of the Diego episodes - they are so not ready. That being said, my little nephew LOVED Spiderman (the live action movie) when he was three. I don't think it is an age thing, it's when your kid can very easily see the difference between fiction and reality. For Elaine it will probably be when she is 18 ;) That being said there is something for being desensitized - maybe watching multiple shows would do that? You're the psychologist right ;)
Juliet said…
You just never know what will scare and what won't. So for my son who leans towards being too timid, I suppose I have desensitized him early with Back to the Future trilogy, all 6 star wars, movie musicals galore.... I could go on. Nothing R rated or even close to that, and not harry potter or pirates because it just happens his parents are not into that..... we will read and watch that together someday, discover it together.
Christina said…
I know that I talked to a 7 year old that told me all about pirates of the Caribbean. He started by telling me all the different groups in school: nerds, jocks, etc. I asked him what group he was in and responded with "well, I have always considered myself to be a pirate." then we started talking about the movie. He also dressed as Jack Sparrow for Halloween and is a huge fan. I guess it depends on the kid though. Here is a helpful informative video I found on the internet. =c) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjMGOvMghY

Popular posts from this blog

We're Coming Home!!!

Quick Update

Miraculous Update July 4th 6 AM